Sunday, January 26, 2014

Book Review: The Catcher in the Rye


        One of my uncles gave me what's probably J.D.'s magnum opus, and I really appreciate it. It has some themes that are really relevant to my age and whatnot, but the feeling this book gave me is interesting. Holden Caulfield is, basically, the book, and I gotta say, I don't really like Holden. 


          He's become this sort of cultural icon for being a teenage rebel and whatnot, and although he fails his classes in different schools, he actually seems to be quite smart, so, what gives? Well, he's quite the lousy bastard. He spends his time drifting about with the money that his mother sends him to live through college and goes out a lot, and that's cool and all, but he's nothing remarkable. 


        For example, the guy's terribly immature, a hypocrite, if you will. He spends all day watching other people and disliking those who he percieved to be phonies, but at the same time, he tends to lie about what he does, telling people he's studying at x school and whatever, making himself appear to be something he's not. He spends his time whining and doesn't really stand up for himself. He just alienates everybody.


          As for the story, well, it really isn't something impressive. It's just one fuck-up after another which lead Holden to not really any trouble nor anything good at all. He just exists in this world that couldn't care less whether he's doing something at all or not.


           I still don't understand the reason as to why this is a classic; although it eludes me, I find it intriguing, so I'll see if anybody could tell me. I didn't really get a message from the book, and although the way it is narrated is quite droll, that's all I could really say about the book. Anyways, I'll give a review in twelve years and we'll see if something changed.