Friday, March 28, 2014

The Beatles: 50 Years Later


           As I was checking my mail, I noticed this interesting message from the content director of VEGAS.com. They are giving homage to The Beatles for their 50th anniversary of their performance in the Ed Sullivan Show. Of course, it's a pretty good reason to write about them, so here goes nothing. 


           I never had the pleasure of seeing them perform or anything (I'm 19), but growing up, I used to hang around with my uncles a lot and one of them would listen to their music all day. I was always intrigued by their style, which differed from album to album, and of course I got to choose my favorite songs such as Hey Jude, Penny Lane, Twist and Shout, and some others. 


           As a younger teenager, though, I never understood why they became so famous. After all, they were a worldwide sensation. Hell, I still don't get it. Their music is catchy, but not complex. Their voices are harmonious, but not difficult to imitate (if you have a trained voice). They were just a four-guy band that happened to become pretty famous. 

But then again, there was something about this band. 


           Just about anybody can listen to it and, if not fall in love with the music, enjoy it. This is something modern pop music tries to accomplish, but the Beatles came from a time before entertainment had such a wide reach. I mean, there was television, radio, and there were vinyl disks, but that was about it. Now you have apps that can even suggest music for you based on what you listen to. Besides, music has gained such a degree of similarity these days that you can predict most songs pretty easily. 


            However, this never happened with the Beatles. Most of their songs are different, and granted, some were similar but that's quite normal in a band. What they have that makes me admire them is the fact that, from one album to the next, their style was always changing, and not in a way that made people complain like they do nowadays. It was a natural transformation that came as the four members grew and matured physically and emotionally. This, I believe, is what makes them trascend through ever-changing trends and styles and is, probably just one small part, of why we consider The Beatles one of the best bands to have existed.