Skip to main content

I'm publishing a Short Story Collection on Amazon + PREVIEW

Hi. It's been a while since I posted here, with life and college getting in the way, but I've since graduated and have had more time given the pandemic forcing me to stay indoors. Fortunately, I like writing and had a few short stories with similar themes already written, so I'm currently editing them into a collection, which will be uploaded to Kindle soon. 

The following is one of the short stories that will be included, so if you enjoy it, check back soon so you can get the rest. I'll make a new post to let you know. 

A Scent of Vanilla




            I met her at the fair, right after the sun went down behind the hill and twilight turned to night. Her pale face shone under the white shroud of the harvest moon, and even in the darkness, her tattered, black dress stood out in the crowd. She faced me, but I could feel her eyes on the back of my head, no, she could see right through me.

“I’m Selma,” she said, with a tone cold as the chills she gave me every time my eyes met hers. It was exhilarating. I gave her my name, and she gave me her hand, bright next to mine, and we explored the fair together. There was a gallery of odd folk going about their performances; a strongman lifted half a car with his bare hands, a pinhead pierced his skin without a single flinch, a contortionist bent her body like water, yet none was such a spectacle to me as the pale girl herself.

            Her vanilla fragrance permeated everything around us, and every breath I took drove me ravenous. As a shark smelling blood, I was ready for a frenzy. She knew it; I was but an open book to her, free to peruse as she desired, and all I could do was wonder whether she was a lioness, stern but loving, or a mantis, ready to devour me as soon as she was done. Whatever the case, I couldn’t resist her.

There was a pack of boys who were raised by wolves. One of them caught her fragrance and approached us with curiosity, but when he came close to us, he panicked and hid under the table, whimpering for somebody to come save him. The rest of the cubs didn’t dare approach us after seeing their brother’s confidence crumble, but they did pull him from under the table. They had better self-control than I did.

“I want to know what your fortune is. Let’s look for the gypsy, she’ll read your tea leaves,” Selma said.

“Oh, you can’t believe that. What do the stars have to do with what goes on in our inconsequential lives?”

“Been there, done that, but I’m curious for your sake. You never know what the heavens have in store for you, and I’m hoping it’s good.”

“What about you? Ran out of destiny?”

“Go on in,” she said, not even acknowledging my question, “I’ll wait for you out here.”

            I entered the purple tent, careful not to knock down any of the beady curtains, and sat down in front of the gypsy. “I hail from faraway lands between the Hindu and the Caucasus, and it is understanding the night sky that have let me and my people survive, for the battle is already won if you know your destiny beforehand.” She took water from a bucket and poured it in a bronze pot, then reached next to the shrunken heads for leaves. “You smell nice, what is that, vanilla?”

            “I like -”

            “Oolong tea, I know. What I don’t know is what the leaves will say once you’re finished drinking, so that’s where you’ll have to help me, boy. Even though the kettle’s boiling, I feel nothing but cold tonight. Curious. Here, drink up, and do it quickly, for the moon is large but the night is short.”

            She tipped the cup into my lips, which were burned by the scalding tea. Even with the fragrant drink right under my nose, all I could smell, all I wanted to smell, was her. Before I set the cup on the table, she snatched it and swirled it around, letting the leaves set where they may. “This has been coming, though I wasn’t sure when to expect it. Boy, you will see death tonight, and that’s all I shall say. Now get out of my tent.”

“Wait, am I in danger?”

“Do you believe you are?”

“A sheep may believe he is safe next to a wolf, but that won’t save him from a predator.”

“Wise boy, but this is not the issue tonight. Go.”

 

            Selma and I sat down next to the food stands, facing the wheat fields beyond the fair grounds. We held hands and ate cotton candy, enjoying the heavenly bodies that revealed themselves to the naked eye.

“Where are you from?” I asked. I couldn’t believe I went my whole life without knowing her; the only thing that would make sense to me was that she came from out of town.

“I’m from around here,” she said, “I like to spend my nights around the fields, though I’m not really a morning person. I like to watch the crows sleep; they usually gather on the branches of those willows over there.” She pointed to the hills behind the field. “We can head over there right now, watch them rest if you want.”

            We walked all the way to her favorite resting spot, next to the Crying Caves, under the Mother Willow. Its branches were adorned in black bark; the tree was dead ever since I could remember. It never broke down.

“Lovely night to watch a murder,” she said, and we sat on a patch of grass. The wind flowed uphill and caressed our skin as it flew to the sky, and it rustled the Mother Willow’s crows, who were in their deep slumber.

“I imagine you see a lot of stuff if you’re around here every night. Are the stories true?”

She nodded. “On a night, just like this night, many years ago, a girl lost her way, and by chance ran into this cave, forced by circumstance, be it a stalker, a storm, a wolf, even her own father, depending on who you ask, and of course, the poor little thing couldn’t deal with the cold and died from exposure. Ironic, isn’t it? If she was technically indoors. And it’s ridiculous, this is a small town, someone would’ve come to look for her. Someone should’ve. I’ve never heard cries, out here, at least, not my own.”

            She stood up, dusted herself off, and gave me her hand to hold, beckoning me to explore the Crying Caves with her. There was eagerness in her dark eyes, though her smile only involved her lips, but caves were dangerous even in the day, whether they were haunted or not. And we knew better than to come around here.

“Nobody’s gone in there,” I said.

“Better yet, nobody can harm us.”

“What about wild animals? Even if the cries are a pack of foxes, we’d be imposing.”

“We won’t,” she whispered, and she helped me up.

            Once inside, light was but a distant memory, yet I couldn’t bring myself to let go. Not even the wind flowed in here, my feet felt nothing but bare rock and dust, and after a few minutes, not even the ground registered. We were alone in the world and I felt nothing but her touch. I was overwhelmed by her scent, her essence, it was as if vanilla grew off every wall, in every nook. I had to have her.

            “Kill me if you must, but take me, Selma, cherub or harlot; if I’m certain of anything, the last thing you are is human.”

            I had never been loved by a woman like that before, and I’ve yet to live it again. By the time we were finished, my energies were drained, my body was cold, and I shivered until I slept, without letting go of her.

I felt her hand on my chest and awoke with a whisper. “Thank you,” she said, and the first rays of light entered the cave. I was laying on a mound of vanilla pods, and next to me, a skeleton in a tattered black dress held me with its coarse face pressed into my ear. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Prompts to Kickstart Your Writing

Read part 2 here Freedom is a curious thing. When you can write about anything, you might as well be able to write about nothing. This is where prompts come in. If you can focus on a certain style, or genre, or plot device, then you might find that it's exactly what you need to stick to a story, or poem, or what have you. Without further ado, here are 20 prompts that can help you out. Your first line has 20 words, the second one has 19, and so on until you finish with one word A story that takes place in a single room No narration, only dialogue Death's greatest mistake Mix two very different genres Write a story in 100 words or less Start and end with the same phrase Apocalyptic but happy Rewrite your favorite story Everyone but your protagonist can speak Any action in the story is decided with you flipping a coin A failed experiment Write a story without using any pronouns Make the simplest of actions suspenseful An ordinary person in an extraordi

5 Ways Modern Life Makes Us Sick

It's a no-brainer that the way we live nowadays is so different from our more primal days, so much that, were any of us taken back to those times, death would be more likely than survival. The same could be said about the reverse, but the lifestyle that humanity used to have was better suited for us. After all, we'd evolved around it. When speaking of illness, there are two factors to consider, the physical and the mental. If we're dealing with a hierarchy of needs, though, and there is a hierarchy for everything, then we see that, to survive, the physical must be taken care of first. 5: Lights on One of the main things that we lost with the arrival of civilization and technology is that of the natural cycle of the day, from campfires and torches to the screen on your cell phone. The world is getting brighter, and it's less expensive as we go along. Places which have never been lit are getting illuminated, and where there is light, it can shine far into t

20 More Prompts to Kickstart Your Writing

See part 1 here: So I've done this before, but sometimes you need more ideas for your stories, something that can hit the spot. No problem. Remember, limiting your options will force you to be more creative, so give these prompts a try. Choose a vowel and avoid using it Write a palindrome Make your own Battle Royale game Describe the life of a merchant The first object to your left is now bound to your soul Tell your father's story Take a character from a book and put him in another environment Survival story Something scary that doesn't scare you What's the Devil afraid of? Take a poem and turn it into prose Take a story and turn it into a poem Read the news, create a fictional account of an event Alter your country's history Make the world understand a tyrant's reason for existing Create a new continent What would life be like if mild magic existed? Imagination is now a currency Write a religious text explaining the creation of the